Monday, October 31, 2005

Calvin & Hobbes

My favorite comic is Calvin & Hobbes, featuring the boy "genius" with a disregard for authority and a disdain for structure, and his tiger "friend". I was introduced to them a long time ago, and they stayed with me because Calvin often eloquently put into words how I feel
Some are pure gems:
"I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time."
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
"Talking with you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out of body experience."
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction."
"That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks."
And my favorite
"I'm learning real skills that I can apply throughout the rest of my life ... Procrastinating and rationalizing."
Source: http://homepage.eircom.net/~odyssey/Quotes/Popular/Comics/Calvin_Hobbes.html

What is funny is that, since reading this, I see flashes of Calvin in every kid I meet, making it seem that Calvin speaks for kids all over, tellig us, "the older people" to "watch it"

To sign off, in Calvin's own words...
"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy.... Lets go exploring"

2 comments:

Vidya said...

hehe... that was good... time to read 'real' literatue again!

Denish said...

Good to see you, bio!
Am waiting for your next post... when you have time